Friday, February 20, 2009

What's in a name?

I used to hate my 10th class Hindi teacher. Not just because she never answered my queries (What is the meaning of Kacche Dhaage, Parinda, Purani Haweli - all movie names) but also because she never remembered my name. The very first class started with her re-hinduening (I fear the Dal members and so no Christening word in my blog) me as Ganesh. 

Me: Ganesh!!!! but that's not me
Teacher: Oh! But you look very much like Ganesh, your senior.

I tried to forget it as a one-off day. But, little did I know that it's just a pre-cursor to my plight. Ganesh made it to the rolls everyday and Sridhar was always absent. I wonder if the principal ever peeped into the class; he would definitely have put up a missing notice on the school board. I protested vehmently at every taken opportunity - every time.

(Roll call) Teacher: Ganesh
Me: Absent
Teacher looks up and says seriously I wouldn't tolerate any mischief
I looked down and muttered Neither would I! Wait till I pass out...

Days rolled by and I started hating Shake-sphere (the guy who wrote What's in a name! Did he not write his own name after the quote?) and my teacher too. One lucky day she got her memory back (probably returning from a long pilgrimage) and I got my name back. Though I do not remember, my friends say that they never saw an impromptu dance (and prayed that they never had to!) before.

Days rolled by and it became a memory until it got dusted after a session on branding. Why do people go for a name? Isn't it actually the product that sells? More often than not, people get associated to more than the offering on board. You give them a soap and they get addicted not just to the smile but also to the lady who showers in the ad; they get attuned to your company name so much so that a day would come when naam hi kaafi hain

What's in a name? There is so much...can you think of Colgate deciding overnight that it wants to be Hinduened (remember, no Christening word in my blog, never!) Tollgate just for a change. Or Lakme renamed Lakus? Well, at least not in the near future because I don't see my Hindi teacher joining these companies...

Teacher: Ganesh
Me: He's absent, teacher Anamika
Teacher: But, am not Anamika!
Me: Neither am I Ganesh!!

4 comments:

  1. It started like a funny story but looks like you took it seriously :D! And, He is a She actually, remember the lady hitler?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I made it clear in the first line that the teacher is a she :D

    Moreover, this is not the lady hitler...we graduated from different schools bro...Hitler left me in 8th class with SKVT :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reminded me of my friend who used to comment "Albert Einstein has correctly said... What's in a name" :D
    Extending this phenomenon... One day when you'll be a bigshot of a multinational company... I'll use 'Brand Extension' and promote myself as "Sid's friend" ;)
    Nice post... Keep them coming Ganesh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Very nice one Ganesh ;). I enjoyed it very well..Keep it up...

    ReplyDelete